Address: Marsh Mills, Plymouth, Devon PL6 8AY
Vospers… The story so far.
The Company commenced trading as a motor business in Plymouth during 1946. The present Chairman’s father founded the business and he was joined by his own father after incorporation in 1951. Over the years the Company became franchise holders for AC, Fiat, Volkswagen, Jaguar and Simca and then was appointed a Ford Retail Dealer in 1957. Vospers entered into the daily rental and contract hire business through their associated company, Vospers Rentacar Ltd in the 1950’s.
In 1960 Vospers were appointed Ford Main Dealers and moved to their site in Millbay Road. Subsequently the Company was appointed a Truck Specialist Dealer for Ford trucks and vans in 1966.
Peter Vosper joined his father in the business in 1966 and assisted in the development of the Company to the status of sole Ford Main Dealer in Plymouth in 1970. Following the sudden death of his father, Peter Vosper became Managing Director in 1974. Further expansion followed over the next five years into other activities such as Motorcycles, Marine and a Vehicle Body Building operation. 1979 saw the building of a new truck facility and then in 1980 the creation of a specialist Used Car business, Ferryport Motors.
A major acquisition in 1986 secured Ford representation for Vospers in both Truro and Penzance. The 90’s saw further growth of the Company with the acquisition of premises in Redruth/Camborne — Vospers of Pool and, in early 1995, the Ford Main Dealership in Falmouth. This exceptional period of expansion culminated in the opening of the prestigious new state of the art premises at Marsh Mills in 1995 in Plymouth. The building reflected the Company’s intention to ensure customers and staff have equipment and premises fully capable of meeting the challenges of the 21st century. During 1996, in line with its commitment to customer satisfaction, premises at Millbay Road were completely refurbished. This provided a valuable service to drivers in the Plymouth City Centre.
Since 1996 Vospers has also acquired St Austell and Liskeard from Cornish Ford, Chaddlewood Garages in Plympton and opened a Ford authorised repairer in Tavistock. The Company has continued its expansion programme with a brand new Dealership at Treliske in Truro. Developments also included a new Accident Repair